Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Call

June 17th-ish
"Dunbar Senior High School."

"Hi, this is Alizabeth Szilagyi. I'm a new hire for next year, I was wondering if there was someone I could talk to about how I can prepare for the school year."

"Ummm . . . who do you want to talk to?"

"Well, I'm certified in English, so I guess the head of the English Department."

"Oh, okay, well, what was your name. I'll leave a message."

"Alizabeth Szilagyi"

"How do you spell that?"

"S-z-i . . ."

June 23rd-ish
"Dunbar Senior High School. How can I help you?"

"Hi. I've been hired on to teach for the next school year. I was wondering if I could speak with the Dr. Kargbo or an assistant principal about what classes I'll be teaching next year."

"Dr. Kargbo is busy right now, can I take a message?"

"Sure, have her call Alizabeth Szilagyi, it's 43-"

"How do you spell that?"

"S-z-i . . ."

June 28th-ish
"Dunbar Senior High School"

"Yes, this is Alizabeth Szilagyi. I've called before, I'm trying to get a hold of Dr Kargbo or possibly the Head of the English Department. I'd like to talk to someone about the curriculum I'll be teaching next year."

"Okay, how do you spell your name?"

"It's Alizabeth S-Z as in Zebra-I . . ."

July 2nd-ish
"Dunbar Senior High School, Ms Clayton speaking."

"Hello Ms Clayton. May I speak with Dr. Kargbo?"

"She's in a meeting right now, can I take a message?"

"Yes, I'm a new hire for next year and I just want to talk to her about what I'll be teaching. My name is Liz Szilagyi."

"Sure, sure sweety. I'll let her know you called."

-Click-

This call continued at least once a week until August 17th-ish. I tried everything, I asked if I could come in and start getting ready for the next year, could I look at the books the school had, could I have the e-mail address of another teacher?  Anything?


Nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment